BY-LAWS OF THE TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER OF THE ASSOCIATION OF TRADITIONAL HOOKING ARTISTS(Adopted July 25, 2004) (last amended Sept. 30, 2013)
ARTICLE I – NAME AND NATURE OF THE ORGANIZATION
- The name of the organization shall be the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER OF THE ASSOCIATION OF TRADITIONAL HOOKING ARTISTS.
- The informal names of the organization are the Maine Tin Pedlars, Maine Tin Pedlar, and Tin Pedlars.
- The TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER is Chapter Number 6 of The Association of Traditional Hooking Artists and, as such, is a nonprofit organization supported primarily by membership dues.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
- To develop and promote interest in rug hooking.
- To maintain high standards and encourage creativity in the art of rug hooking.
- To provide the means for an exchange of ideas and information among members.
- To sponsor educational activities to improve the quality of rug hooking.
- To communicate and carry out the directives of the National Executive Board of ATHA with regard to its chapters.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
- The TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER shall be an open, non-profit, educational organization that is supported by membership dues.
- Members of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER shall be those members in good standing of the national organization known as The Association of Traditional Artists (ATHA) who apply to, and are accepted as, members of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER, provided their NATIONAL AND CHAPTER DUES remain current.
- CHAPTER DUES shall be determined by the Executive Board and payable in September of each year.
- CHAPTER MEMBERSHIP shall be valid for a 12-month period, from September through August of the meeting year. CHAPTER MEMBERS who submit their dues after the September deadline shall pay the entire yearly rate.
- Other fund raising activities shall be determined by the Executive Board.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
- The OFFICERS shall be President, Vice President, Treasurer, Recording Secretary, Communications Director, Recording Secretary, two Hostesses, and Librarian/Historian.
- All Officer positions are voluntary and not paid positions.
- The Executive Board shall consist of the OFFICERS AS VOTING MEMBERS. The Immediate Past President shall serve the Executive Board in an advisory capacity and shall be a non-voting member. All members of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER may attend Executive Board meetings as non-voting members.
- All OFFICERS shall be elected by the members of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER at its regular meeting in May of each even-numbered year.
- The term of office shall be two years, with each new Executive Board assuming their duties in June of the same even-numbered year
- The President may serve two consecutive terms. There is no limit on non-consecutive terms.
- Committee Chairpersons shall be appointed by the President of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER with the consent of the other OFFICERS.
ARTICLE V – MEETINGS
- There shall be two EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETINGS per year, with one meeting occurring in the summer. Other MEETINGS may be called when necessary by the President.
- No fewer than three members must be present in order to conduct the Chapter’s business at an EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING.
- REGULAR MEETINGS of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER shall be held at least five times per year. If possible, the dates chosen shall be on the second Saturday of the MEETING MONTHS. .
- MEETING NOTICES shall be sent to the members.
- When a fee is charged for the meeting place, the membership may be separately assessed if there is a need.
ARTICLE VI – EXHIBITS
- An EXHIBIT shall be held by the Chapter, alone or in conjunction with the New England Region or National Organization (when it meets in New England) at least every three years.
- Any ATHA and TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER member, whose national dues and Chapter dues are paid in full, may show a rug in a TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER EXHIBIT.
- Arrangements for spaces and materials to be provided for either Exhibits or Workshops must be noted in writing by those so providing. Fees, limitations, and requirements must also be noted and agreed upon in writing in advance of said events.
ARTICLE VII – ELECTIONS
- Elections shall be held on even-numbered years at the May meeting.
- Officers will assume their duties in June of the same year.
- The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee of at least three members.
- The Nominating Committee shall present a single slate at the May meeting.
- a. Suggestions for nomination may be made by any member.
- b. All nominees must be members in good standing of the Chapter and of ATHA National.
- c. All nominees must have accepted their nominations before the day of the Election.
5. Voting shall be by a show of hands, unless a member requests a written ballot.
6. Officers shall be elected by a majority vote of those present.
7. Outgoing Officers shall transfer records and assist the new officers before and/or during the first Executive Board Meeting after the election.
ARTICLE VIII – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- Duties of the President.
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER and of the Executive Board.
- The President shall appoint chairpersons for committees, including nominating, county fairs, exhibits, and raffle rugs.
- The President shall be a member ex-officio of all committees, except the nominating Committee.
- The President shall communicate on local, regional, and national levels where applicable and shall attend two Region 1 meetings per year with other New England Chapter Presidents.
- At the invitation of the succeeding President, the President shall sit on the Executive Board as an advisor for two years after the term of office has ended.
- President shall ensure at least one article with photographs per year is submitted for the ATHA national publication.
2. Duties of the Vice President.
- The Vice President shall assist the President and assume all duties of the President in absence of the President.
- With the help of the Executive Board and the membership, the Vice President shall develop and plan the yearly program.
- The Vice President shall contact speakers, set up workshops and events, and arrange times and costs involved in the yearly program.
- Vice President shall mail thank you notes for guest speakers and workshop leaders.
3. Duties of the Treasurer.
- The Treasurer shall collect, hold, and pay out funds of the Tin Pedlar Chapter as directed by the Executive Board.
- The Treasurer shall prepare a financial report and keep the books in good order and make them available for inspection at any time.
- The Treasurer shall report finances at meetings.
- The Treasurer shall work with the Communications Director to maintain an up-to-date list of chapter members.
- The Treasure shall handle all Chapter membership dues and verification with ATHA.
- The Treasurer shall process all financial aspects of trips and other activities.
- The Treasurer shall pay rent and all workshop expenses.
- The Treasurer shall handle all finances pertaining to the rug show and raffles.
4. Duties of the Recording Secretary.
- The Recording Secretary shall keep the Minutes of all regular meetings, Executive Board meetings, and special meetings and shall send copies of the Minutes to the President and Communications Director within two weeks.
- At each regular meeting, the Recording Secretary shall read the Minutes of the previous regular meeting.
- The Recording Secretary shall maintain a permanent record of all Minutes taken through the year for the purpose of providing the Librarian/Historian with a digital copy at year end.
- The Recording Secretary shall have the official copy of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Chapter.
5. Duties of the Communications Director.
- The Communications Director shall prepare and maintain all social media and electronic communications.
- The Communications Director shall maintain an up-to-date membership listing consisting of members’ names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses.
- The Communications Director will distribute an up-to-date membership listing at the Nov. meeting.
6. Duties of the Librarian/Historian.
- The Librarian/Historian shall maintain a selection of books, periodicals, and other materials relating to rug hooking.
- The Librarian/Historian shall keep chapter records and photo records and act as photographer at special events.
- The Librarian/Historian shall disperse, on loan, the above items to members.
- The Librarian/Historian shall bring a variety of materials to meetings and report on new publications.
- The Librarian/Historian shall keep the collection current by adding new publications.
- The Librarian/Historian shall maintain permanent record of minutes provided in digital format by the Recording Secretary at year’s end.
7. Duties of the Sunshine Officer.
- The Sunshine Officer shall arrange with membership for food at all meetings, parties, and outings, providing a reminder in advance to those responsible.
- The Sunshine Officer shall arrange for coffee and/or other drinks to be ready at the beginning of meetings.
- The Sunshine Officer shall purchase and maintain a box of supplies including eating utensils, coffee, and napkins, providing a receipt to the Treasurer for reimbursement.
- The Sunshine Officer shall gather and distribute a door-prize for each meeting.
ARTICLE IX – PROGRAMS AND FEES
- The Executive Board shall determine fees for guest speakers.
- The Vice-President shall execute a written contract with any guest speaker and notify members of the cost of materials and kits.
- Members shall make an effort to donate time and expertise to others in the spirit of the Purpose of the Chapter.
ARTICLE X – SALES POLICIES
- Any sales of materials made by any member as a result of the regularly assembled meeting will require a 10% payment of such sales to the Chapter Treasury.
- Suppliers who wish to sell merchandise at ATHA sponsored Exhibits or other Events shall pay a pre-arranged fee for the space or privilege.
- Presenters may sell merchandise at a Regular Meeting in accordance with their contractual agreement.
ARTICLE XI – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the TIN PEDLAR CHAPTER shall be from January 1 through December 31 of the same year.
ARTICLE XII – POWER TO CONTRACT AND RESTRICTIONS
- No officer or member of the Chapter may enter into agreement or contract in the name of the Chapter without the authorization of the Executive Board. Authorization can be secured electronically.
- ATHA does not certify any teacher or products. The name ATHA may only be used in connection with membership.
- Membership lists may not be distributed, sold or used commercially in any way and remain the sole property of the Chapter members.
- The names on Tin Pedlar banking accounts are to be President, VP and Treasurer. Names are to be changed within one (1) month of election/installation.
ARTICLE XIII – RESIGNATIONS AND TERMINATIONS
Any officer wishing to, or finding it necessary to, resign shall notify the Executive Board in writing.
ARTICLE XIV – AMENDMENTS
These By-laws may be amended by a majority of the members present and voting at any regular meeting for which 30 days’ written notice of the amendment is provided to the membership.
ARTICLE XV – QUORUM OF THE MEMBERSHIP
A quorum of no fewer than fifteen (15) members must be present at a meeting in order to conduct the business of the organization.
ARTICLE XVI – PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE
In all matters not provided for in these By-laws, Robert’s Rules of Order shall prevail.